Narrow Road Depot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learn Hebrew with DR Melissa Scott

4 posters

Go down

Learn Hebrew with DR Melissa Scott Empty Learn Hebrew with DR Melissa Scott

Post by Annie Sun May 12 2013, 08:58

Hebrew Lessons, DR Melissa Scott

Askakido sent me here last night to begin Hebrew lessons. These are very good. DR Scott does such a great job, focusing on the core of things. I think with repeated visits, this could be a great way to learn the language, at least enough to get some good studying done, in the Hebrew. And thank you, Aska, for the recommendation...

Enjoy!

So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts.
2 Peter 1:19
Annie
Annie

http://onesaint.org

Back to top Go down

Learn Hebrew with DR Melissa Scott Empty Re: Learn Hebrew with DR Melissa Scott

Post by Tryphena Sun May 12 2013, 09:41

I have listened for lesson one. Dr. Scott presents the lesson in a friendly, personalble, "adult simplicty" manner. I aim to continue on, most excellent, thanks for posting Anne!
(The gents may find themselves awestruck Learn Hebrew with DR Melissa Scott 922822270)
Tryphena
Tryphena

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarhead Sun May 12 2013, 10:53

Dr. Scott is easy on the eyes.

However, as with all 'teachers' ~ do yourself a favor and checkout a faith statement (good luck on finding that...) and a history or two.

Regardless the theological qualifications or absence thereof ~ teaching Hebrew or Greek DOES require sufficient academic training in those languages ~ sorry ~ Cliff Notes and a CLEP exam doesn't cut it, imo.

Select your human authorities/teachers with care, people.
Jarhead
Jarhead
Admin

https://narrowroaddepot.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Askakido Sun May 12 2013, 13:32

I sent a few there because this very simple set of lessons is predominatly about how to learn the letters of Hebrew, how to name them, how to write them and how to reckonize each, how to know the Masoretic vowel markings and a hint or to in possible pronunciations.
This is at what I would call very much a kindergarten level. ANd Dr. Scott keeps the lessons on the slow pace.
Cliff Notes on how to write and recognize the letters? That's a nice chuckle.
However, when one get to the point where one is saying A is of Apple, B is for Boy, C is for Cat -- it is at this point where indeed, the cavet that you, Jarhead, have cautioned is a very valid point.
Hebrew like any Semitic writing system without vowels is particularly difficult. Most Christians tend to rely solely on the work of the Masorets, a Jewish sect, for their selections of vowels. I have often wondered just how Wise that practice is?
But that is an academic sort of question in its own right.
I learned to write and recognize the Cyrillic and the Arabic without becoming either a Russian (or communist or atheist), and without becoming a Muslim. I have learned to recognize and write Cheoke without taking on an American Indian religion.
Long ago as kids, we discovered the whole list of various alphabets in the back of an old dictionary.. we got good are writing them and recognizing them and used them as a code system. .(we were playing we were 'spies'.).
My point, learning to write and recognize and even be able to say the names of each letter is a very long way from doctrinal assertions. So don't be discouraged. Even the 'doctors' had to start at the level of learnign the letters, how to write them, how to recognize them, and how to say their names in one dialect or another.

Askakido

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie Sun May 12 2013, 21:20

I just finished lesson one, for the second time, and am writing the alphabet now. Have nearly learned the pronunciations. Have the final forms down. She is very good. Thank you, Aska, I will continue with Melissa Scott. In most learning, there can be a choice, but finding a good teacher is often divine blessing...

There is no question, I am in the kindergarten class... Morning session, I believe, where they take a lot of naps... Learn Hebrew with DR Melissa Scott 1078039957
Annie
Annie

http://onesaint.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down